Sunday, May 20, 2012

Snacks For Poor People: Baked Potato Chips

Earlier today I decided that tonight would be a night to relax and get some writing done. And then I looked at the TV Guide and noticed that the Billboard Awards were airing later.  I'm obsessed with awards shows. I don't care what the awards are for or if I know any of the nominees. I just love settling in for a good 3 hours of mindless television. Needless to say, I was pretty psyched to watch the BBMA's. I started thinking about all the snacks I was gonna buy for the evening and then I remembered that I have about $70 to my name at the moment. Time to get domestic.
I started looking through my fridge and pantry trying to put a half decent snack together. I was about to settle on Nutella toast (which is a pretty great snack but didn't seem quite special enough for the occasion) and then I remembered the potatoes I bought earlier this week.
I figured it couldn't be too difficult to make potato chips so I looked over a few recipes online and then just winged it. Look at these puppies.
They look pretty perfect, right? That's because they are! I really didn't think they would be but, holy crap, were these delicious. I used just one potato and it made a small portion. Which is kind of a good thing I think because it keeps me from devouring an entire bag of chips.If you wanted an amount comparable to a big bag of chips you'd probably have to use 3-4 large potatoes. Here's the recipe.

1 lg Russet potato (I'm sure any potato will do)
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt/Seasoning Salt
Pepper


1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Slice potato very thinly. Basically as thin as you possibly can.
3. Put oil and potatoes in a bowl and toss. Add Salt and Pepper (or whatever you think would be delicious!) and toss some more.
4. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper and lay potatoes down in a single layer.
5. Bake for 20 minutes, turning the tray half way through baking. If after 20 minutes there are a few that don't seem quite browned enough, simply remove the ones that are done and put the rest back in for 3-5 minutes.
6. When golden (or darker) brown, remove from cookie sheet and let cool on a paper towel. This helps soak up some of the extra grease. Though, overall, they weren't particularly greasy.

It's a super cheap and healthy-ish snack for when you're really craving some delicious sodium. If I had some sour cream or Greek yogurt on hand I probably would've gone so far as to make some dip for them too. But they were delicious on their own. And you can really play around with the flavours. I think I'll make salt and vinegar next and maybe some garlic and parmesan. I also think sweet potato chips with cinnamon and sugar would be wicked good if you have more of a sweet tooth. Anyways, I better get back to this award show. Carly Rae Jepsen's about to do her thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment